Automated Solar Tracking System for Efficient Energy Utilization
Sagar Panchal, Omkar Navalkar, Prasad Jadhav, Nutan Malekar, "Automated Solar Tracking System for Efficient Energy Utilization", VIVA-IJRI Volume 1, Issue 2, Article 3, pp. 1-5, 2019. Published by Computer Engineering Department, VIVA Institute of Technology, Virar, India.
This paper proposes a project that involves an automated solar tracking system which will make use of LDR’s to track the position of sun. The output of LDR’s will be compared and analyzed to provide correct alignment of the solar panel. Also another tracking technique is being implemented along, which uses the relation of sun earth position at a given location. This telemetric data is given to microcontroller which will drive the motors to align the solar panel. This is useful during cloudy weather and rainy days when it is difficult to check the position of sun. Solar panels give output efficiency of around 15% to 20% based on the type of panel. The use of solar tracking system increases it to a range of about 30% to 35%. This project further involves use of reflective sheets on the sides of solar panel which will concentrate the reflected rays on the panel. Due to this the efficiency is further increased around 40%. This project is a cost effective solution for stationary solar systems to increase efficiency.
Solar, Tracking, LDR, Dual-axis, Electricity.
- Ashish Pandey, NiveditaDasgupta, Ashok Kumar Mukerjee. ‘High-Performance Algorithms for Drift Avoidance and Fast Tracking in Solar MPPT System’, IEEE Transactions On Energy Conversion, Vol. 23, No. 2, June 2008, pp. 681-689.
- AbilashVenkatesh, Dr.R.Karthik. ‘Investigation on Enhanced Performance of Solar Tracking through Dual Reflective System’, International Conference on Energy, Communication, Data Analytics and Soft Computing, April 2017, pp 417- 419.
- Harsh Vyas, TejasParkar, Rahul Verma, PramodVishwakarma. ‘Solar Tracking System’, International Journal of Research in Science & Engineering, March 2017, pp. 292-296.
- Qiang Mei, Mingwei Shan, Liying Liu, Josep M. Guerrero. ‘A Novel Improved Variable Step-Size Incremental-Resistance MPPT Method for PV Systems’, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 6, June 2011, pp 361-364.
- Paul R. White, Huntsville, Donald R. Scott, Athens. ‘Solar Tracking System’, Administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, April 1981, pp. 11-45.
- PragyaNemaa, R.K. Nemab, SarojRangnekar. ‘A current and future state of art development of hybrid energy system using wind and PV-solar: A review’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 13, May 2009, pp. 2096-2102.
- Amit Chakraborty Chhoton, Narayan Ranjan Chakraborty. ‘Dual Axis Solar Tracking System-A Comprehensive Study: Bangladesh Context’, 4th International Conference on Advances in Electrical Engineering, Sep 2017, pp. 421-426.
- Chihchiang Hua, Chihming Shen. ‘Comparative Study of Peak Power Tracking Techniques for Solar Storage System’, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 23, No. 2, 1998, pp. 679-685.
- Amr E. Gaafar, Ahmed F. Zobaa. ‘Economical Design of a Two-Axis Tracking System for Solar Collectors’ International Journal of Research in Science & Engineering, March 2015, pp. 572-589.
- S. Gutiérrez. ‘Prototype for an off grid Photovoltaic system with Low Cost Solar Tracking’, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 6, June 2017, pp. 452-459.
- Lipika Nanda, Prof.A.Dasgupta, Dr.U.K.Rout. ‘Smart Solar Tracking System for Optimal Power Generation’, 3rd IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Technology, June 2017, pp. 101-105.
- Anita Khanna. ‘Efficient Vertical Dual Axis Solar Tracking System’, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 62016, Dec 2016, pp. 147-152.
- Laura-MihaelaLelutiu, Carmen-MihaelaLungoci, Marius-Daniel Calin, MarcianCirstea. ‘A Power Efficient Mobile Solar Tracking System’, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 23, No. 2, Nov 2017, pp. 561-566.
- SumantMalav, Shelly Vadhera. ‘Hardware Implementation of Solar Tracking System Using a Stepper Motor’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 13, May 2009, pp. 2096-2102, May 2015, pp. 761-770.
- MidriemMirdanies, Roni PermanaSaputra. ‘Dual-axis Solar Tracking System’, International Conference on Sustainable Energy Engineering and Application, April 2016, pp. 642-648.
- Falah I. Mustafa, A.Salam Al-Ammri, Farouk F. Ahmad. ‘Direct and Indirect Sensing two-axis Solar Tracking System’, The 8th International Renewable Energy Congress, Jan 2017, pp. 273-278.
- Falah I. Mustafa, SarmidShakir, Faiz F. Mustafa. ‘Simple Design and Implementation of Solar tracking System Two Axis with Four Sensors for Baghdad city’, The 9th International Renewable Energy Congress, May 2018, pp. 978-998.
- Fawzi M. Al-Naima, Ramzy S. Ali, Ahmed J. Abid. ‘Solar Tracking System’, IT-DREPS Conference & Exhibition, May 2013, pp. 01-06.
- Shashwati Ray, Abhishek Kumar Tripathi. ‘Design and Development of Tilted Single Axis and Azimuth-Altitude Dual Axis Solar Tracking Systems’, 1s t IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics, Intelligent Control and Energy Systems, July 2016, pp. 01-06.
- JulakantiSatheesh Reddy, AbanishwarChakraborti, Bikram Das. ‘Implementation and Practical Evaluation of an Automatic Solar Tracking System for Different Weather Conditions’, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 23, No. 2, Nov 2016, pp. 561-566.
- Mohamad El Atwani, Patrick Koepper. ‘Solar Tracking System’, International Journal of Research in Science & Engineering, March 2014, pp. 572-589.
- Deekshith K, Dhruva Aravind, Nagaraju H, Bhaskar Reddy. ‘Solar tracking system’, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 6, Issue 9, September 2015, pp. 994-999
- K. Sujatha, R.S.Ponmagal, T. Godhavari, K.S. Ram Kumar. ‘Automation of Solar System for Maximum Power Point Tracking using Artificial Neural Networks and IoT’, IEEE Uttar Pradesh Section International Conference on Electrical, Computer and Electronics Engineering, Dec 2016, pp. 61-66.