Feature Extraction and Feature Selection using Textual Analysis
Hemlata Badwal, Prof. Chandani Patel, "Feature Extraction and Feature Selection using Textual Analysis", VIVA-IJRI Volume 1, Issue 3, Article 9, pp. 1-6, 2020. Published by Computer Engineering Department, VIVA Institute of Technology, Virar, India.
After pre-processing the images in character recognition systems, the images are segmented based on certain characteristics known as “features”. The feature space identified for character recognition is however ranging across a huge dimensionality. To solve this problem of dimensionality, the feature selection and feature extraction methods are used. Hereby in this paper, we are going to discuss, the different techniques for feature extraction and feature selection and how these techniques are used to reduce the dimensionality of feature space to improve the performance of text categorization.
Character Recognition, Feature Extraction, Feature Selection, Image Segmentation, Pre-processing.
- Vijay Prasad and Yumnam Jayanta Singh, "A study on method of feature extraction for Handwritten Character Recognition", Indian Journal of Science and Technology, pp. 174-178, March 2013.
- Ayush Purohit and Shardul Singh Chauhan, "A Literature Survey on Handwritten Character Recognition", (IJCSIT) International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies, Vol. 7 (1), 2016.
- J. Pradeep, E. Srinivasan and S. Himavathi, "Diagonal based feature extraction for Handwritten alphabets recognition system using neural network", International Journal of Computer Science & Information Technology, Vol 3, No 1, Feb 2011.
- Foram P. Shah and Vibha Patel, "A Review on Feature Selection and Feature Extraction for Text Classification", International Conference on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking (WiSPNET), March 2016.
- Gaurav Kumar and Pradeep Kumar Bhatia, "A Detailed Review of Feature Extraction in Image Processing Systems", Fourth International Conference on Advanced Computing & Communication Technologies, Feb 2014.
- T. Fujisaki, T.E. Chefalas, J. Kim, C.C. Tappert and C.G. Wolf, “On-Line Run-On Character Recognizer: Design and Performance”, Character and Handwriting Recognition: Expanding Frontiers. P.S.P. Wang, ed., pp. 123-137, Singapore: World Scientific, 1991.
- Oivind Due Trier, Torfinn Taxt, Anil K. Jain, “Feature Extraction Methods for Character Recognition-A survey”, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 29, pp. 641-662, April 1996.
- K. Gaurav and Bhatia P. K., “Analytical Review of Preprocessing Techniques for Offline Handwritten Character Recognition”, 2nd International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering & Management, ICETEM, 2013.
- A. Brakensiek, J. Rottland, G. Rigoll, A. Kosmala, “Offline Handwriting Recognition using various Hybrid Modeling Techniques and Character N-Grams”, Available at http://irs.ub.rug.nl/dbi/4357a84695495.
- R.G. Casey and E. Lecolinet, “A Survey of Methods and Strategies in Character Segmentation,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 18, No.7, pp. 690-706, July 1996.
- S. N. Srihari, R. Plamondon, “On-line and off- line handwritten character recognition: A comprehensive survey,” IEEE. Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 63-84, 2000.
- Harun Uguz, “A two-stage feature selection method for text categorization by using information gain, principal component analysis and genetic algorithm”, Elsevier Knowledge-Based Systems, pp. 1024-1032, 2012.
- S. Niharika, V. Sneha Latha and D.R. Lavanya, “A Survey on Text Categorization”, International Journal of Computer Trends and Technology, Vol. 3, pp. 39-45, 2012.
- M. Blumenstein, H. Basli, B. Verma, “A Novel Feature Extraction Technique for the Recognition of Segmented Handwritten Characters”, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, Vol. 1, pp. 137–141, 2003.
- Anshul Gupta, Manisha Srivastava, “Offline Handwritten Character Recognition”, pp. 1-27, April 2011.
- Shifei Ding, Weikuan Jia, Chunyang Su, Fengxiang Jin, “A survey on Statistical Pattern Feature Extraction”, Advanced Intelligent Computing Theories and Applications. With Aspects of Artificial Intelligence, 4th International Conference on Intelligent Computing, ICIC 2008, Proceedings (pp.701-708), Shanghai, China, September 15-18, 2008.
- Abdul Salam Shah, M.N.A. Khan, Fazli Subhan, Muhammad Fayaz, Asadullah Shah, “An Offline Signature Verification Technique Using Pixels Intensity Levels”, International Journal of Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition, August 2016.
- Youness Tabii, ?Mohamed Lazaar, ?Mohammed Al Achhab, Nourddine Ennaya, Book 872, Big Data, Cloud and Applications: Third International Conference, Communications in Computer and Information Science, Kenitra, Morocco, April 2018.
- Available at https://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/HIPR2/label.htm
- Faiq Baji, Mihai L. Mocanu, Popa Didi Liliana, “Brain tumor detection based on asymmetry and K-means clustering MRI image segmentation”, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 4145 – 4159, 2018.