Material Management – Using Barcode System
Ms. Vrushali Gawale, Ms. Himani Barapatre, Mr. Prathamesh Dhoke, Mr. Ritul Gavand, "Material Management – Using Barcode System", VIVA-IJRI Volume 1, Issue 4, Article 10, pp. 1-5, 2021. Published by Computer Engineering Department, VIVA Institute of Technology, Virar, India.
Construction materials management plays a Significant role in the success and profitability of construction Projects. Some of the problems relating to materials Management are materials shortages, delays in supply, price Fluctuations, damage and wastage, and lack of storage space. To Overcome the problem, the advent of ICT has been largely Exercised in developed countries to aid and improve construction Materials management. Overall, there are five processes involved within the materials management, namely planning, Procurement, logistics, handling, stock and waste control Processes. Studies have shown that the use of ICT in managing The materials on site has not fully utilised by many construction Firms despite of the potential benefits. This is due to some Barriers faced by the construction firms in adopting the ICT. Through some qualitative approaches like questionnaire survey and face to face semi-structure interviews data is collected. The findings showed that There were high numbers of common ICT tools involved at the Planning and procurement stage of materials management Processes while handling and waste and stock control stage have The lowest adoption of ICT tools. It was also found that modern Tracking technologies such as RFID and bar coding system used In developed countries has not been utilized and can be Considered as non-existence in construction firms’ materials Management. According to the respondents, this was due to the Requirements needed to purchase the ICT tools such as high Investment on the hardware, staffs training and qualified ICT Specialist on specific software knowledge and technology testing on automation or wireless technologies.
Construction Materials, ICT, Materials management Process.
- “Khyomesh V. Patel, Prof. Chetna M. Vyas “Construction materials Management on Project Sites” National Conference on Recent Trends in Engineering & Technology, 13-14 May 2011.
- N. B. Kasim, Peniel Ang Soon Ern “The Awareness of ICT Implementation for Materials Management in Construction Projects” Vol-2, No. 1, 2010, pp 1-10.
- Narimah Kasim “ICT Implementation for Materials Management in Construction Projects: Case Study” KICEM Journal of Construction Engineering and Project Management, 2011, pp 31-36.
- Narimah Kasim, Rozlin Zainal, Alina Shamsuddin, Naadira Che Kamarudin “Implementation on RFID Technology for Real-Time Materials Tracking Process in Construction Projects” IEEE Colloquium on Humanities, Science & Engineering Research, 3-4 December 2012, pp 472-476.
- Sohrab donyavi and roger Flanagan “The impact of effective material Management on construction site Performance for small and medium sized Construction enterprises” Vol. 1, pp. 11-19.2010.
- Elijah E.O.,“Profitability through effective management of material”, school of Engineering,UK.Vol. 1, 2010.
- Vaid,K.N. , “ Waste control of building materials in construction of mass housing projects” , NICMAR journal of Construction Management, Vol 2, No.3 , 1997.
- Ahuja, Vanita & Yang, Jay & Shankar, Ravi (2009), “Study of ICT Adoption for building project management in the Indian Construction industry”, Automation in Constuction, Volume 18(4), 415-423.
- Torrent, D. G., Caldas, C. H., O’Connor, J. T., Crews, K. A., Fowler, D. W. and Borcherding, J. D. (2008), ‘Development of a Methodology for Automating the Identification and Localization of Engineered Components and Assessment of its Impact on Construction Craft Productivity’, published PhD, University of Texas at Austin, United States of America.
- Chandani, Kansara. , “ Identification of material Wastage in residential buildings” , NICMAR journal of Construction Management, Vol 13, No.1, January 2007.