Haptic Technology- Interaction with Virtuality
Akshaya Hegde, Prof. Shreya Bhamare, "Haptic Technology- Interaction with Virtuality", VIVA-IJRI Volume 1, Issue 4, Article 174, pp. 1-6, 2021. Published by Computer Engineering Department, VIVA Institute of Technology, Virar, India.
Our daily routine activities revolves on our sense of "touch" or "feel". And a technology that helps in experiencing this sense through a device is called "haptic technology". Haptic tries to evaluate the sensation of touch through various mechanisms. Haptic devices make virtual objects seam real when they are touched. Haptic technology uses force, motions and vibrations to the user to initiate interaction between virtual environment and user. With this technology we can now touch the objects that is only in the mind of a computer system but does not exist in reality. Users can receive feedbacks in the form of felt sensations in the hand or other parts of the body from computer applications using various input and output devices. The idea of haptic technology evolved from virtual reality. Haptic is a technology that is evolving day-by-day. As the demand for virtual reality is being intensified the haptic technology will also intensify. In this paper we will study the idea and evolution of haptic technology, haptic devices and their applications. Finally we will conclude with the future of haptic in our daily life.
feedback,haptic, interaction , touch, virtual
- B. Divya Jyothi1, R. V. Krishnaiah, “Haptic Technology - A Sense of Touch”, International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), India Online ISSN: 2319-7064.
- Dr.R.V.Krishnaiah, PG-Coordinator, DRKGI, Hyderabad, India, S. Sri Gurudatta Yadav, Research Scholar, DRKGI, Hyderabad, India,”HAPTIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY” ,International Journal of Computer Engineering & Applications, Vol. II, Issue I/III
- Guido B¨ottcher, Dennis Allerkamp and Franz-Erich Wolter, “Virtual reality systemsmodeling haptic two-finger contact with deformable physical surfaces”, IEEE Trans.OnCyberworld, 2007.
- Volkov, S. and J. Vance, Effectiveness of Haptic Sensation for the Evaluation of VirtualPrototypes. Journal of Computing andInformation Science in Engineering, 2001.
- Lien L.L, Chen Y.H, “Haptic SurgicalSimulation: An Application to Virtual Suture”,Computer-Aided Design & Applications, Vol.3, Nos. 1-4, IEEE 2006, pp 203-210.
- CagatayBasdogan, Suvranu De, Jung Kim,ManivannanMuniyandi, Hyun Kim, andMandayam A. Srinivasan, “Haptic in Minimally Invasive Surgical Stimulation andTraining”, IEEE Computer Graphic andApplications, March/April 2004.
- Shoon So Oo, Noor Hazrin Hany and IrraivanElamvazuthi, 2009, Closed-loop ForceControl for Haptic Simulation: Sensory ModeInteraction, Proceedings of 3rd IEEEConference on Innovative Technologies inIntelligent Systems and Industrial Applications(CITISIA 2009), 25-26 July 2009, KualaLumpur, Malaysia.
- Harris, W. (2008, June), “How Haptic Technology Works”, Retrieved fromhttp://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everydaytech/haptic-technology.htm
- J.J.Barkley, “Haptic Devices”, Mimic Technologies,2003
- Lin, M., & Salisbury, K. (2004, March), “Haptic Rendering—Beyond Visual Computing”, Retrievedfromhttp://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/cg/2004/02/mcg2004020022.html
- Snehal N. Meshram , Amit M. Sahu, “ Haptic Science and Technology in Surgical simulation, medical training and military application”, (IJCSMC)International Journal of Computer Science and Mobile Computing vol 3 issue 4, April 2014.
- Anupamalur, Pratik Shrivastav, Aditya Jumde“Haptic Technology-A Comprehensive Review of its Application and Future prospects”, (IJCSIT) International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies vol 5(5), 2014.
- N. F. Vaibhav, V. S. Mohit, A. A. Anilesh“Applicaton of Haptic Technology in advance Robotics” in INTERACT- 2010, pp.273-277, IEEE. Dec. 2010.
- “Haptic Technology”, Wikipedia [Online].Available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haptic.
- ”Future Trends of Haptic Technology”, Available: https://www.doha.inc/the-top-3-new-trends-in-haptic-technology
- ”Haptic Technology-Feedback,Devices,WorkingPrinciple,Applications”Available: https://electricalfundablog.com/haptic-technology/