Design and Fabrication of Blended Wing Body
Rahul Posture, Shreyash Paradkar, Omkar Pawar, Omkar Padwal, "Design and Fabrication of Blended Wing Body", VIVA-IJRI Volume 1, Issue 4, Article 23, pp. 1-5, 2021. Published by Computer Engineering Department, VIVA Institute of Technology, Virar, India.
Aircrafts are the widely used vehicle for rapid and long distance transportation. Although it is time consuming, the conventional design of aircraft doesn't gives much space inside the aircraft and also consumes more power because of its aerodynamic structure. Hence it is necessary to develop a new composite structural design which overcomes these barriers. Blended Wing Body (BWB) is one of the solution of these problems. The BWB configuration is a new concept in a aircraft design which provides greater internal volume, aerodynamics and structural efficiency & noise reduction. The design approach of BWB is to maximize overall efficiency by integrating the propulsion system, wings and the body into a single lifting surface. BWB is a unibody air craft where the fuselage, wing and tail gets merged to form a single entity. The fuselage section of BWB is flattened and has slightly airfoil shaped structure which exceeds the overall lift generation of aircraft. The objective of this paper is to study aerodynamic study of Blended Wing Body. The project deals with the designing, analysing and fabricating of UAV(Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) type electrically powered BWB aircraft system, and also selecting appropriate propulsion system and other electric components.
Aerodynamic and structural efficiency, Blended Wing Body, Unmanned aerial vehicle.
- Edwin Ordoukhanian, Azad M. Madani, “Blended Wing Body Architecting and Design: Current Status and Future Prospects,” Science direct,2016
- Wensheng Zhu, Xiongqing Yu, Yu Wong, “Layout Optimization for Blended Wing Body Aircraft Structure,” International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, May 2019.
- Odeh Dababneha, Timoleon KIpouros, “A review of Aircraft Wing Mass Estimation Methods,” Aerospace Science and technology, Vol 72, January 2018.
- G. D. Goh, “Additive manufacturing in Unmanned Aerial Vehicle: Challenges and Potential, “Science, March 2014.
- RH Liebeck, “ Design of blended wing body subsonic transport,” Journal of aircraft, 2012.
- Mark Voskuijl, Gianfranco La Rocca, Frank Dircken, “Controllability of Blended Wing Body Aircraft,” 26th International Congress of the Aeronautical Science,2008
- LI Peifeng, Zang Binqian, Chen Yingchun, Yuan changsheng, Lin Yu, “ Aerodynamic Design Methodology for Blended Wing Body Transport,” Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, October 2011.
- D. S. Lee, L. F. Gonzalez, “Multy-objective/multidisciplinary design optimisation of blended wing body UAV via advanced evolutionary algorithms,” 45th AIAA Aerospace Science Meeting and Exhibit, January 2007.http://ijarece.org/wpcontent/uploads/2016/05/IJARECE-VOL-5-ISSUE-4-1009-1012.pdf last Accessed on 2nd March, 2020.
-  John D. Anderson, Aircraft Performance and Design.
- Mohammad H. Sadraey, Aircraft Design.