Experimental Investigation of Effect of TIG and MIG Welding Parameters on Ti6Al4V
Mishra Amit, Singh Sanket, Shinde Ashray, Tarfe Prashant, "Experimental Investigation of Effect of TIG and MIG Welding Parameters on Ti6Al4V", VIVA-IJRI Volume 1, Issue 4, Article 26, pp. 1-5, 2021. Published by Computer Engineering Department, VIVA Institute of Technology, Virar, India.
This paper reports on a study aiming at comparing mechanical and structural properties of Ti6Al4V titanium alloy of grade 5 welded by TIG and MIG welding. To achieve this motive titanium alloy plates of thickness 5mm were welded using tungsten inert gas welding (TIG) and metal Inert gas welding (MIG). Mechanical properties, microstructure, residual distortions and welded geometry of the joints produced with TIG and MIG welding were analyzed. TIG and MIG are generally two most commonly used welding on titanium alloy (Ti6Al4V). Welding is done by using filler material ERTi5. Tn all 18 specimens were tested for determining different properties of titanium alloy out of which 9 specimens were welded using TIG welding and the other 9 by using MIG welding. At the specimens were welded at different welding parameters such as by varying current, voltage, gas flow rate, depth of weld, welding speed, etc. and after testing each specimen for various mechanical properties results are obtained. Taguchi methodology was used to conduct the experiments and analysis of results obtained from welded joints.
Ti6Al4V, ERTi5, TIG welding, MIG welding, Taguchi Methodology.
- Amitabha Ghosh and Ashok Kumar Mallik, (Ed.2), Manufacturing Science (India: East West press Pvt. Ltd., 2010).
- S.K. Hajra Choudhury, (Ed.16), Elements of Workshop Technology (Allahabad: Media Promoters & Publishers, 1971).
- T.S. Balasubramanian, “Influence of Welding processes on microstructure, tensile and impact properties of Ti6Al4V alloy joints,” Science Press Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1253–1262, 2011.
- JInkeun Oh, Nack J.Kim, “Optimizing the Parameters of TIG-MIG/MAG Hybrid Welding on the Geometry of Bead Welding Using the Taguchi Method,” Material Science and Engineering. China., pp. 232–242, 2003.
- Kanemaru, S.; Sasaki, T.; Sato, T.; Tanaka, M. Basic Study on TIG-MIG Hybrid Welding Process. Q. J. Jpn Weld. Soc. 2012, 30, 29–34.
- T. S. Balasubramanian et al., Influence of welding processes on microstructure, tensile and impact properties of Ti6Al4V alloy joints, Transaction of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 21 (2011) 1253-1262.
- M. Balasubramanian, V. Jayabalan and V. Balasubrama- nian, developing mathematical models to predict tensile properties of pulsed current gas tungsten arc welded Ti-6Al-V alloy, Materials Design, vol. 28, pp. 92-97, 2009.
- F.-Q. Li, J. Zhao and J.-H. Mo, Comparative study of the microstructure of Ti-6Al-4V titanium alloy sheets under quasi-static and high-velocity bulging, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 31 (3) (2017) 1349-1356.
- S. Wei, Y. Li, J. Wang, K. Liu, Formation of brittle phases during pulsed current gas tungsten arc welding of titanium to aluminium alloys. J. Mater. Eng. Perform. 23, 1451–1457 (2014).
- S.H. Chen, L.Q. Li, Y.B. Chen, D.J. Liu, Si diffusion behaviour during laser welding–brazing of Al alloy and Ti alloy with Al–12Si filler wire. Trans. Nonferric. Metal. Soc. China 20, 64–70 (2010).
- W.V. Vaidya, M. Horstmann, V. Ventzke, B. Petrovski, M. Kocak, R. Kocik, G. Tempus, improving interfacial properties of a laser beam welded dissimilar joint of aluminium AA6056 and titanium Ti6Al4V for aeronautical applications. J. Mater. Sci. 45, 6242–6254 (2010).
- W. Shouzheng, L. Yajiang, W. Juan, L. Kun, Research on cracking initiation and propagation near Ti/Al interface during TIG welding of titanium to aluminium Kovove Mater. 52, 85–91 (2014).
- CASALINO G, CURCIO F, MINUTOLO F M C. Investigation on Ti-6Al-4V laser welding using statistical and Taguchi approaches. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 167 (2-3), pp. 422-428, 2005.
- MAGUDEESWARAN G, BALASUBRAMANIAN V, BALASUBRAMANIAN T S, MADHUSUDHAN REDDY G. Effect of welding consumables on tensile impact properties of shielded metal arc welded high strength, quenched and tempered steel joints. Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, vol. 13, pp. 97-105, 2008.
- BALASUBRAMANIAN M, JAYABALAN V, BALASUBRAMANIAN V. Prediction and optimization of pulsed current gas tungsten arc welding process parameters to obtain sound weld pool geometry in titanium alloy using lexicographic method. ASM International, JMEPEG, 18, pp. 871-877, 2008.
- Teixeira, G.S. Análise da Influência da Influência dos Parâmetros ded Soldagem Sobre a Geometria do Cordão de Solda Depositado pelo Processo de Soldagem TIG-MAG em Tandem. Master’s Thesis, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul—UFRGS, Porto Alegre, Brazil, 2011.