Time delay and cost escalation in construction works
Mr. Ankit Jaiswal, Mr. Dennies Thomas, Mr. Rahul Kushwaha, Mr.Ravikant Mahato, "Time delay and cost escalation in construction works", VIVA-IJRI Volume 1, Issue 4, Article 144, pp. 1-4, 2021. Published by Computer Engineering Department, VIVA Institute of Technology, Virar, India.
The objective of the present study was to measure the effects of delay in construction projects like cost-overrun, time-overrun, litigation and project abandonment. Data on the study variables has been collected through a structured questionnaire. Statistical tool One-Way ANOVA has been applied for data analysis and inference. It is found that delay in construction projects significantly lead to cost overrun, time overrun, litigation and project abandonment. The findings of the study also provide significant insights to the construction industry so that they may formulate strategies in order to avoid delay and its consequences. Moreover, the recommendations and limitations are discussed in the conclusion part of the study.
Construction Projects, Delay, Cost overrun, Time overrun, Litigation, Abandonment.
- Doloi et al(2011), “Analysing factors affecting delays in Indian construction projects” International Journal of Project Management 30 (2012).
- K.C. Iyer, K.N. Jha(2005), “Factors affecting cost performance: evidence from Indian construction projects” International Journal of Project Management 23 (2005).
- S. Shanmugapriya1, Dr. K. Subramanian, “Investigation of Significant Factors Influencing Time and Cost Overruns in Indian Construction Projects” Volume 3, Issue 10 October 2013.
- Ahmed Senouci ( 2016 ), “Time Delay and Cost Overrun in Qatari Public Construction Projects” Creative Construction Conference 2016, CCC 2016, 25-28 June 2016.
- Nabil Al-Hazim, Zaydoun Abu Salem, Hesham Ahmad, “Delay and Cost Overrun in Infrastructure Project in Jordan” 7 th International Conference on Engineering, Project , and Production Management.
- Abdulelah Aljohani, Dominic Ahiaga-Dagbui, and David Moore (2017), “Construction Projects Cost Overrun” International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, Vol. 8, No. 2, April 2017.
- N. Hamzaha , M.A. Khoirya , I. Arshada , N. M. Tawilb, “Cause of Construction Delay - Theoretical Framework” The 2nd International Building Control Conference 2011.
- Michal Ghuszak (2015), “Construction Delays in clients opinion - multivariate statistical analysis” Creative Construction Conference 2015.
- Vaibhav Y. Katre1, Dr. D.M. Ghaitidak, “Elements of Cost and Schedule Overrun in Construction Projects ” Volume 12, Issue 7(July 2016).
- Abdussalam Shibani, Kumar Arumugam “Avoiding Cost Overruns in Construction Projects in India” Management Studies,August 2015,Vol.3.
- T. Subramani1, M.Kannan, P.Vinoth, K.mohan Doss, S.Priyanka, March - April 2018,“Cost Escalation and Delays in Construction Industry Using SPSS ” Volume 7.
- Swapnil P Wanjari and Gaurav Dobariya, “Identifying factors causing cost overrun of the construction projects in India” Vol. 41, No. 6, June 2016.
- Kodwo Amoa-Abban Seth, “Cost overruns in Building Construction Projects: A Case Study of a Government of Ghana Project in Accra”, Vol.4, No.24, 2014.
- SAVITA SHARMA1 & PRADEEP K. GOYAL, May 2014, “Cost Overrun Factors and Project Cost Risk Assessment in Construction Industry”, Vol. 3, Issue 3.
- Jafri S. Jongo, Dennis N. G. A. K. Tesha, Raymond Kasonga, Justine J. Teyanga1, Kenan S. Lyimo, “Mitigation Measures in Dealing with Delays and Cost Overrun in Public Building Projects in Dar-E-Salaam”, Tanzania.